The process of systematization of sensations by the brain is called sensory integration (the “SI”). The influence consists in receiving the information from the receptors by the central nervous system of all the senses. These sensations give us an idea of the physical condition of the body, which we use for life and development. Specially, these sensations give us the information about the physical status of the body, its place in the world, about tastes, smells, sounds or visualization.
For the first time, SI therapy was applied by Californian specialists working with children with neurological disorders. The proposed method was aimed at systematization of various sensations through games play.
The sensomotor integration starts to form in the prenatal period and is based on three systems:
The human genes contain only the basic level of abilities to the sensory integration, each child will have to develop this ability by itself.
Sensory Processing Disorders
The symptoms of the SI impairment are the disorders in the processing of sensory information. Causes of impairment might be connected to the birth trauma, asphyxia in the patrimonial period, etc., as a result of which there is no clear organization of sensations in the brain. The child can not filter information, choose important among the scope of incoming information.
Such deviations are not always noticed in the process of diagnosis assessments, they are attributed to the protervity, to the nature of a child or pedagogical neglect. The violations of sensory integration might be noticed, first of all, a person living with a child is observing this every day.
The parents shall become in charge should the following signs:
- a kid confuses sides: up and down, right and left;
- a kid cannot control both hands at the same time, changes hands during occupations or during meals;
- a kid can not sit on the ground, swings on a chair, feels the need to run somewhere;
- a kid tries to avoid the society of children, is intended to privacy, plays alone;
- a kid badly concentrates on the moving objects;
- a kid tries to avoid loud noises, closes the ears with hands;
- a kid does not like touches from other people, withdraws his hand or turns away from everything which is too close to him;
- a kid tries to avoid the manual dexterity games;
- a kid generally develops according to age, but has difficulty learning to read or write.
Sensory integration consists of the following phases:
- Registration or response to an external stimulus (smell, sound, the appearance of a person or an object in sight view).
- Adaptive response.
The goal of the therapy is to help the brain in chasing the necessary knowledges about the environment and about external factors influencing the sensory systems.
A sensory rehabilitation therapist is a specialist at the clinic who develops the feelings of a child through games play. Such activities give new sensations, help the nervous system of a child to find a balance and adequately process the information. The therapist does not impose the games or a certain type of activity, the therapist observes the child, gives him a variety of activities that are aimed at meeting his sensory needs.
The principals of sensor integration
The positive results of the sensory integration sessions in Kiev are defined by the principles of the methodology which is applied:
- as a result of sensory therapy, the child’s ability to learn is improved;
- the patient learns something new, develops new skills, overcomes difficulties, achieve success;
- in the course of employment all systems are involved as much as possible;
- the interaction between a child and the world, including with the parents, becomes to be
The use of sensory integration therapy is quite extensive, the technique can be complemented by the sessions of defectology treatment, speech therapy, psychotherapy or teaching sessions.
The sensory integration method is used for children with such diseases:
- cerebral palsy, when the freshness of all sensory systems and the lack of ability to adequately respond to sensory signals are diagnosed;
- autism, when the method is used to reduce affectivity and relaxation.
Sensor integration disorders should be corrected without expecting when it “overgrows”, since these disorders can adversely affect the socialization in kindergarten, at school and later, in the life.
The sensory integration involves the following exercises:
- overcoming a trim trail;
- swinging on a swing;
- jumping on a trampoline or on a ball;
- screwing into the narrowed space;
- games with a ball, a rope or a gymnastic wall, with elastic bands;
- imitation of animal poses;
- rhythmic movements following music, signing songs when moving;
- blowing the soap-bubbles;
- games with kinetic sand, mosaics;
- playing with constructors, nesting dolls, pyramids and other breaking games.
The sessions of sensory integration are held in the specially organized premises in Kiev.
Exercises for the olfaction development:
- to identify a fruit by smell;
- to select the edible from non-edible things by smell.
For the development of the sense of vision:
- to joint the outlines of the things;
- to model and to draw by finger paints;
- to mix colors.
For the speech development:
- simulation of the sounds of the animals;
- singing the sounds;
For the development of kinetic abilities:
- playing games with dynamic sand;
- playing therapy with cereals and noodles;
- feet massage by walking on stones.
For the development of the sense of hearing:
- to rhythmic play in drum by different things;
- singing simple songs.
Sensory integration during the dialogue consists in walking through the situations, in planning the actions. The parents of children with special needs have to master such skills in order to help socializing with the assistance of specialists.
Schedule the meeting with the specialists of our center in Kiev already now, if you notice any disturbing symptoms. The specialists will allay your concerns or help you to find a way out of a difficult situation. The earlier the treatment starts, the greater chance that the child will no longer be unlike the agemates.
Davydiuk О. Yu.
Doctor, rehabilitation therapist
Pricing of Our Services
|Pediatric Neurologist counseling interview (primary)||30-45 min||UAH 450|
|Pediatric Neurologist counseling interview (definite)||30 min||UAH 300|
|Sensory integration therapy||45 min||UAH 450|
|Transcranial District Current Stimulation||20 min||UAH 400|
|Bioacoustic correction||20 min||UAH 400|